European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation (ECARF)
The European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation ECARF is a founding member of the Allergy Friendly Buildings Alliance
"The non-profit European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation (ECARF) aims to ensure that people with allergies receive the best possible education and care when it comes to everyday issues and treatment options."
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Torsten Zuberbier, Foundation Chairman ECARF
The European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation (ECARF) is committed to helping people who suffer from allergies and aims to improve medical care, promote allergy research, and educate people about the subject. The foundation has supported medical research for many years, including at the Charité in Berlin, and cooperates with 129 university hospitals worldwide.
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Torsten Zuberbier
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Torsten Zuberbier is a dermatologist and one of the world’s leading physicians in allergy research. In 1996, Zuberbier was appointed Head of the Division of Allergology at the Clinic for Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology of the Charité. In September 2001, he was awarded an extraordinary professorship. In 2003, he was appointed to an endowed professorship (C4) for allergy sequelae research and in the same year became head of the European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation ECARF at the Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology, Charité in Berlin. Since October 2004, he has headed the Allergie-Centrum-Charité at the Department of Dermatology in Berlin-Mitte. Before being elected Managing Director of the Clinic for Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology at Charité in January 2012, he was Co-Director of the clinic.
In cooperation with pioneer Mercedes-Benz, Torsten Zuberbier has designed the interior of the manufacturer’s vehicles to be allergy-friendly. Now, from the A- to the S-Class, all Mercedes-Benz model series bear the seal of the European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation (ECARF). The seal states that the values in the car interior meet the strict requirements of the foundation and that this has been proven by test procedures. The results were confirmed by a medical study conducted by ECARF Institute GmbH in an innovative, mobile pollen chamber on the grounds of the Charité hospital in Berlin.
Functions and memberships
- Spokesman of the Allergy Center Charité
- Head of the European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation – ECARF
- ECARF (European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation) – Chairman
- GA²LEN (Global Allergy and Asthma European Network) – President
- DAAU German Academy for Allergology and Environmental Medicine – President
- ARIA (Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma) – Member of the Working Group of the World Health Organization WHO and Head of the Reference Center in Germany
- German Society for Allergy and Immunity Research – Member of the Board of Directors
- Allergo Journal – member of the scientific advisory board
- EDF (European Dermatology Forum) – member of the guideline group
- DDG (German Dermatological Society) – member of the board of the working group Allergology
- WAO (World Allergy Organization) – Member of the Special Committee Allergy Diagnosis and Molecular Allergology as well as member of the Special Committee Skin Allergies of the WAO